Healthcare Section 21
About the Health Care Section 21 Committee
The Health Care Section 21 Committee is facilitated by the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD) and made up of members representing organized labour and employers as well as observers.
- Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
- Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL)
- Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)
- SEIU Healthcare
- AdvantAge Ontario
- Ontario Community Support Association (OCSA)
- Ontario Home Care Association (OHCA)
- Ontario Hospital Association (OHA)
- Home and Community Care Support Services
- Ontario Long Term Care Association (OLTCA)
- Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services
- Ministry of Health/Ministry of Long-Term Care
- Public Services Health & Safety Association
Group of Nurses
The Health Care Section 21 Committee develops guidance notes intended for all health care organizations to provide advice to workplace parties related to legislative requirements and good practices applicable to the prevention of illness and injury to health care workers. The guidance notes are applicable to all organizations that provide health care, treatment, diagnostic services, personal care and/or supportive services in either health care organizations, community service agencies and emergency medical services. The intent of the guidance notes is to assist the workplace parties in achieving compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act as well as sharing good practices. Guidance Notes are also intended to assist other parties who play decision-making roles that may impact occupational health and safety (OHS) in the health care sector.
The guidance notes are distributed by the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD) on behalf of the Committee and made available on the Public Services Health & Safety Association (PSHSA) website.
Approved Guidance Notes
The following health care guidance notes have been prepared and approved by the members of the Health Care Section 21 Committee.
- Guidance Note 1: Effective Communication Processes for Occupational Health and Safety
- Guidance Note 2: Pandemic
- Guidance Note 3: Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Education and Training
- Guidance Note 4: Safety-Engineered Medical Sharps (SEMS)
- Guidance Note 5: Application of Hazard Control Principles, including the Precautionary Principle to Infectious Agents
- Guidance Note 6: Occupational Injury and Illness Reporting Requirements
- Guidance Note 7: Right to Refuse
- Guidance Note 8: Workplace Violence
- Guidance Note 9: Slips, Trips and Falls
- Guidance Note 10: Internal Responsibility System (IRS)