This 2-day eLearning program covers the first part of the training required for you to be a member of a workplace Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC). Combined with JHSC Certification Part 2, it leads to certification under Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD) guidelines.
Public Services Health and Safety Association (PSHSA) is an Ontario Chief Prevention Office (CPO) approved training provider for the JHSC Certification Part 1 training program.
Each module in this online training program highlights specific references to the JHSC Certification Training Program Standard as set out by the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD), and is applicable to any workplace in Ontario. These standards are referred to as the course objectives.
In PSHSA eCert, you will learn about:
- Relevant occupational health and safety legislation
- Your legal rights and responsibilities as a JHSC member
- Common workplace hazards and key steps to addressing them
- How to conduct workplace inspections and incident investigations
- How to function effectively as a JHSC member
PSHSA eCert provides in-depth practical information about tasks as they relate to workplace hazards. It will teach you how to:
- Recognize workplace hazards
- Evaluate the risk of accidents/incidents, injuries and illness
- Respond to employee health and safety complaints and suggestions
- Maintain and monitor injury and work hazard records
This Part 1 eLearning program is comprised of 9 modules and 8 videos:
- JHSC Certification Part 1 eLearning modules (8 modules – approx. 12 hours)
- Insights videos
- JHSC Certification Part 1 Evaluation (1 module – approx.1 hour)
All 8 eLearning modules must be successfully completed and the Insights videos watched by the learner before taking the final evaluation module. The approximated length of time for completion of the self-paced eLearning modules + videos, including taking the evaluation, is approximately 13 hours (2 days).
- Module 1 – Introduction to JHSC Certification Training
Insights video - Certified Training Program and Process
- Module 2 – The Importance of Health and Safety
Insights video – Importance of Health and Safety
- Module 3 - Health, Safety and the Law
Insights video – Health, Safety and the Law
- Module 4 – Joint Health and Safety Committee
Insights video – The JHSC
- Module 5 – Health and Safety Hazards
Insights video – Health and Safety Hazards
- Module 6 – Hazard Management
Insights video – Hazard Management/RACE
- Module 7 – Workplace Inspections
Insights video – Workplace Inspections
- Module 8 – Incident Investigations
Insights video – Incident Investigations
- Module 9 – JHSC Certification Part 1 Final Test
The learning resources offer valuable, and non-interactive content while the interactive lessons deliver questions with feedback or directed learning with text, graphics, animations, audio and/or video. Knowledge checks gauge understanding of key concepts and provide valuable feedback. There are scenarios, case studies and interactions which incorporate real workplace examples to help the learner relate and apply their learning to their own workplace.
Videos embedded in the module demonstrate and highlight safe practices and identification of hazards. The video Insights at the end help to facilitate key points or tips from health and safety experts, as would take place if in a classroom session. They complement the content covered in the modules.
Job aids include an online digital copy of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, sample policies and other JHSC forms, useful links, guides as well as a glossary.
The final test is given to each learner when they have completed all 8 modules. The learner must successfully achieve the passing grade of 75% or more in order get a certificate and move on to taking JHSC Certification Part 2 training. If a learner does not achieve the required 75% on the eLearning quiz, they may return to the module for another attempt.
Who Should Take this Course?
All members of a workplace Joint Health and Safety Committee, regardless of any previous experience in health and safety. Workplaces that regularly have 20 or more employees must ensure at least two personnel have completed the certification training.
JHSC Certification Training guidelines established and enforced by the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
Register now for JHSC Certification Part 1 eLearning to access special, introductory pricing at $299 per access.
Please note: It is a requirement of the JHSC Certification Program Standard that the eLearning course is fully completed within 30 days from the date that you start the program.
After registration, you can access the course at pshsa.litmos.com using the participant email you used to register.
Note: JHSC Certification Part 2 must be completed within 12 months of completing JHSC Certification Part 1.