ARE YOU QUALIFIED TO PARTICIPATE?
Peer Educator Training is open to individuals who:
- have completed the initial Beyond Silence Champion Training,
- have personal experience with mental illness recovery (personal or family)
- have experience working in healthcare (clinical or non-clinical),
- have strong interpersonal and communication skills,
- are motivated to reduce the stigma associated with mental illness at work,
- are willing to provide training and mentorship to others.
The two-day training will be provided in small groups (up to 12 participants) to optimize opportunities for discussion and hands-on practice. Content of the program includes
- Foundational principles of Beyond Silence facilitation
- Best-practice evidence regarding anti-stigma education and the power of personal stories
- Application of adult learning and group theory principles
- Facilitation practice, with an opportunity to provide and receive feedback
- Discussion re: opportunities and logistics of the peer educator role
TRAINEES WILL RECEIVE:
- Two full days of training with a qualified instructor (includes lunch and breaks)
- A leader's guide and facilitator handbook
- Certification to provide Beyond Silence Champion Training through PSHSA
- Opportunities for ongoing mentorship (online and in-person)
- Membership in the peer educator community of practice
- Access to marketing, training materials, registration and evaluation support through PSHSA
- April 2-3, 2020 – Hamilton, Ontario
REGISTRATION COST: Tuition fee: $500 (subsidized through research grant)
*Note: space is limited to 12 participants each session so register early!
The prerequisite to this course is Beyond Silence Champion Training. Please complete this training before taking the Peer Educator Training
Find Your Consultant
Want to set up an on-site training session? Have any questions or concerns about legislation or your health and safety strategy? Our consultants are here to help.
Your Local Consultants