PSHSA’s Health and Safety for Managers and Supervisors Blended Distance Learning builds on the competencies of being a manager or supervisor. This blended training program combines self-paced eLearning (approximately 3.5 hours) of online instruction, activities and knowledge checks with 1 day (7.5 hours) of live, instructor-led discussions, interactions and group activities delivered online through Zoom. You must successfully complete the eLearning module before attending the live, virtual classroom session. Note: Registration for the live virtual classroom training portion closes 3 days/72 hours prior to the course start.
This blended training program applies to the managers and supervisors in Ontario’s education, emergency services, government/municipal and healthcare sectors. It is designed to provide a deeper understanding of occupational health and safety and how it contributes to supervisory responsibilities, how it impacts workers and enhances the health and safety culture of the workplace. It covers what it means to be "competent" and develops the knowledge and skills to effectively perform the role as a supervisor as stated in OHS legislation and in best practices.
The virtual classroom session builds on the eLearning and explores the concept of moving beyond compliance – from being a supervisor to being a health and safety leader and role model in the workplace. It provides information and resources to aid in the development of critical thinking skills and better understanding of the supervisor’s role as it relates to the OHSA.
The combined eLearning and virtual classroom sessions provide managers and supervisors the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes to fulfill their role as a critical link in moving beyond compliance to demonstrating leadership in safety, creating a positive safety culture and reduced injury experience in their organizations. It also provides the organization the opportunity to adapt a “best in class” mindset and improve their occupational health and safety system and achieve reduced injury experience. Strong leadership can lead to other positive outcomes such as improved staff morale and more efficient operations.
Upon completion of this Distance Learning program, you will be able to:
• Recognize OHS legislation with recall of key concepts covered in the eLearning module
• Improve knowledge of supervisory roles and responsibilities and how this links to your workers, employer and workplace
• Explore emergency preparedness and the key steps of an emergency response plan
• Apply RACE/PEMEP to real-life workplace examples (case studies)
• Explore how to prevent and respond to incidents in the workplace
• Understand the importance of health and safety culture
• Identify leadership traits and practices that can contribute to making your workplace healthy and safe
• Learn about practices and resources to assist with moving beyond compliance
Health and Safety for Managers and Supervisors Blended Distance Learning is comprised of two parts: